Comedian Chris Rock will present the Oscars for a second time it has been confirmed.
The funnyman was rumored to be the frontrunner for hosting duties earlier this week (beg19Oct15), and his appointment was announced on Wednesday (21Oct15).
It will be the 50-year-old’s second stint as the big show’s frontman, having previously hosted the ceremony in 2005, and the star can’t wait to return.
“I’m so glad to be hosting the Oscars,” he said in a statement released to Variety. “It’s great to be back.”
Chris will be hoping to avoid a repeat of a situation at the 77th Academy Awards when Milk actor Sean Penn confronted him before handing out the Best Actress statuette over the comedian’s joke about British star Jude Law.
Chris had asked who the Sherlock Holmes actor was during one of his links and Sean seemed to take umbrage with his words.
“Forgive my compromised sense of humor, but I did want to answer our host’s question about who Jude Law is; he’s one of our finest actors,” he said, going off script.
The Awards producers David Hill and Reginald Hudlin clearly have no concerns over Chris’ return and hope he will be a hit MC with the viewers.
“Chris Rock is truly the MVP of the entertainment industry,” they said in a statement. “Comedian, actor, writer, producer, director, documentarian — he’s done it all. He’s going to be a phenomenal Oscar host!”
Chris will follow Neil Patrick Harris who fronted the 87th Academy Awards earlier this year (15). The telecast drew the show’s lowest ratings in six years — down 16 per cent from the previous year’s Oscars.
But David and Reginald previously told the outlet they hope to give the show a fresh look to appeal to a wider audience.
“The challenge is to make it entertaining so it doesn’t seem like a lesson, so the audience cares for people when they get onstage,” said David.
The 2016 Oscars will be held at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on 28 February.
– Cover Media0