You guys, the embargo is lifted, and Jason, Alexis, Bradley, and I can finally talk about the movie we got to see at the press screening yesterday, ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens.” I’ll let the others share their perspective on the 7th installment in the Star Wars franchise (though, we like to pretend that episodes 1-3 don’t exist).
Here are my general, spoiler free impressions in bullet form:
- STAR WARS IS BACK! All the things you loved about the original three Star Wars movies are back in this new episode. The mild humor, the very distinct Star Wars look, some of the wonderful characters (I won’t say who).
- Take your blood pressure meds before you go. I was gripping my seat and had to remind myself to breath. It is action packed, and totally engaging from beginning to end.
- It’s okay if you don’t know the Star Wars story like the back of your hand! Read a Wikipedia page before you go and you’ll be mostly up to speed.
- Can you bring your kid? Honestly, you know your kid best, but, I’d say if your child can handle episodes IV, V, and VI, you’re probably in the clear. I wouldn’t bring my 5 year-olds, but my 9 year-old will see it this weekend.
- It’s over two hours (what movie isn’t) so bring a snack.
- Don’t forget that Lupita Nyong’o is in the movie. I had to look up her character afterwards, because you won’t recognize her.
It’s hard, I’m sure, to take an iconic franchise that so many people have such intense feelings about and breathe new life into it while maintaining the history. J.J. Abrams has done it! You NEED to see this movie as soon as possible.0