Pills found at Prince’s Paisley Park mansion in Minnesota in the wake of his death were counterfeit, according to new reports.
The music icon died in an elevator at his home back in April and now more details about what may have cause the Purple Rain star’s death have come out.
The counterfeit drugs contained fentanyl, a synthetic opioid 50 times more powerful than heroin.
A local official, who spoke to The Associated Press on Sunday on condition of anonymity – because of the ongoing investigation into his death – said many pills were falsely labelled Watson 385, a stamp used to identify pills containing a mix of acetaminophen and hydrocodone.
The tablets were found in a dressing room at Paisley Park, Prince’s studio complex and home just outside Minneapolis.
Investigators also found suitcases and luggage containing Vitamin C pills and aspirin as they searched Paisley Park.
Autopsy results released in June confirmed Prince died of an accidental fentanyl overdose.
Medical records suggest the 57-year-old had no prescription for any controlled substances in the state of Minnesota at the time of his death.
Authorities are still investigating how Prince obtained the drugs, which sources suggest Prince had with him on April 15 – a week before his death – when the airplane on which he was a passenger made an emergency stop in Moline, Illinois, after he fell ill from a suspected drug overdose as he was heading home from a performance in Atlanta, Georgia.
Meanwhile, the star’s estate is still being sorted, as Prince did not leave a will behind when he died. A judge gave executives at Bremer Trust control of his estate six days after his death in April.
Prince’s intellectual property is estimated to be worth between $100 million and $300 million.0