Eye Makeup Trends:
- Orange-ish and copper eyeshadow colors, with or without a metallic sheen. Layer three variations on this color in different finishes for a multi-dimensional effect. Hello, autumn!
Try: Morphe 25A Copper Spice Eyeshadow Palette ($25), which gives you over a dozen on-trend shades in matte and shimmer finishes plus complementary colors to blend with them for a complete eye design.
- Mauve all over, as in playing with this shade for eyes, cheeks, and lips. It’s an ideal wearable color for most skin tones and mixes well with colors in the brown, gray, and taupe families.
Try: Urban Decay’s Backtalk Palette ($46) gives you a wardrobe of mauve-like shades for eyes and cheeks. For lips, try Almay Lip Vibes Lipstick ($8) in Worry Less or Go Wild.
- The two-toned smoky eye is gorgeous day or night and surprisingly simple to do: Apply a colorful, jewel-toned shade to your upper lid, concentrating color on eyelid and fading out to the eye’s crease. Then, use a smoky gray, charcoal, or soft black powder eyeshadow along your bottom lash line, applying more intensely as eyeliner along upper lash line.
Try: Almay Velvet Foil Cream Shadow ($8) in Violet Eyelet or Paradise Found and, for lining, NYX Cosmetics Hot Singles Eyeshadow ($4.49) in Raven
- Brown-based lipsticks circa early ‘90s are back, but less brown than in the past.
We’re fans of Maybelline’s Color Sensational Lip Color ($8) in shades Barely Brown and Warm Latte.
- Not a fan of brown? Try an oxblood red shade or any deep red hue that has a purple or plum undertone. Riveting now and as the holiday season kicks in to gear.
Try: Bobbi Brown Luxe Lip Color ($35) in Plum Brandy or Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick ($7) in Black Cherry.
- Two-toned lips, where your top lip is lighter than your bottom lip. You can do this with different intensities (one sheer, one opaque) of similar shades, and the effect melds as your lips move together, creating an attractive—not clashing–combination. Try this using a lip stain all over and then apply a regular lipstick in a similar color to bottom lip only.
Try: L’Oreal Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain ($9) with Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick ($6) in the shade combination of your choice.