Pink has revealed that she suffered from a drug overdose in 1995.
During a new interview for 60 Minutes with Cecilia Vega, the pop singer opened up about using drugs in the past.
“I was a punk. I had a mouth. I had a chip on my shoulder. Basically I grew up in a house where every day my parents were screaming at each other, throwing things. They hated each other,” Pink, 44, explained. “I got into drugs. I was selling drugs, and then I was kicked out of the house. I dropped out of high school. I was off the rails.”
The Raise Your Glass hitmaker recalled overdosing on Thanksgiving when she was 16 years old.
“Thanksgiving of 1995, I was at a rave, and I overdosed,” the performer told Cecilia. “I was on – oh boy – ecstasy, angel dust, crystal, all kinds of things, and then, I was out. Done. Too much.”
The interviewer noted that Pink, real name Alicia Moore, had “almost died”. Pink agreed, adding, “Yeah”.
While introducing her 2008 track Sober on VH1 Storytellers, Pink revealed that she had not touched drugs since the 1995 Thanksgiving – though she did not share that she had overdosed.
“The DJ woke up and said, ‘I’ll give you a guest spotlight on Friday nights if you never touch drugs again.’ It was Thanksgiving of ’95 and I woke up the next morning and never did another drug ever,” she said at the time.
Just weeks after her overdose, the performer signed to LaFace Records with her former R&B girl group, Choice. She released her debut solo album Can’t Take Me Home in 2000.
– Cover Media